Tuesday 23 March 2010

Stage Presence

"A wave swept up to the shore and took me back for the ride.
And in that moment of fear I gazed below normal tide
That’s when the depths of the ocean showed what was really inside.
I saw a man sat just below the surface on a rock.
And his wisdom filled gaze withdrew all panic and shock
And unlocked an inner calm that let me float down to his depths"

1000 Words - Scroobius Pip     o


The thought of being on stage in front of a room full of people fills me with fear and dread and would even encourage me into showing violence towards a passing asthmatic for a calming puff on their inhaler. At a production of West Side Story that had a friend performing in, i pulled a muscle in my back from 3 hours of sitting tensely. When my younger brother (at the tender age of 16) didn't blink an eye at the heckles he was getting during his one man stand up routine at an established venue, i was having minor nervous breakdowns and heart palpitations. I don't think i will ever feel comfortable on stage and quite frankly, i can live with that, but that doesn't stop me from feeling green with envy at those who stage presence comes naturally to. I went with said sibling/breakthrough comedian to watch Dan le Sac vs Scroobius Pip perform last night. I was mesmerised by the ease at which 'Pip' strutted round the stage, winning over a crowd of lairy Mancunians. I couldn't stop myself from staring and following his every move, probably subconsciously trying to pick up tips for the future where i might be presented with a similar situation. I wonder if stage presence is something you are born with, or whether you can learn it.

No comments:

Post a Comment