Thursday 14 October 2010

Intensely You

I'm having a bit of a minor breakdown, design wise. This project has got me stumped. At first i blamed it on the long summer break, and being out of practice. I assumed that, given a week, the creative juices would start flowing again. So far, everything i've produced seems very forced and unnatural. I've had to force myself to sit down and get something/anything down on paper, thinking that in doing this, the engine will catch and i'll be off again. It hasn't caught. The ideas i've had don't seem like my work, i feel a bit like i've lost who i am as a designer. 

This evening i sat down at my desk and wrote a list of the things that determine the way i've always gone about designing something, and why i'm not as bad as i'm currently thinking. Whilst trawling through the regular blogs i visit for inspiration i came across a quote from Ralph Steiner, the American photographer and film maker, about approaching design...

"Be intensely yourself, don't try to be outstanding; don't try to be a success; don't do pictures for others to look at - just please yourself."

I think i need to go back to basics, work out what i'm good at, and approach this project from a completely different angle. Off i go.

No comments:

Post a Comment